Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Old 13-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
LTN000

Car: 2001 BJ Astina
Watching DVD In-Car

im just in the process of buying a new head unit for my bj and was just wondering who has a double or single din dvd player and actually uses it for watching movies/videos etc just wanting to know the value in getting one?
LTN000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
I've got Single DINs in a couple of cars, and i just find them distracting while driving. But the screens are easier to read than usual readouts.

You'd need a double DIN or single DIN foldout for it to be worth it if you want to watch anything.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
I use to watch dvds when I first bought my single din fold out player 2 years ago, but as Dan has said, it gets very annoying & distracting after a while. On occasion I throw in a live concert dvd for those long drives, and to stop the missus from asking me wedding questions I love the touchscreen in mine, makes album/song choices easier, cosidering you can put 7x more stuff on dvdr disc then a normal cdr mp3 disk
Old 13-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
phildough
Banned

Car: 2002 Mazda Frankenstina
It is illegal for any car to have a screen with moving video visible by the driver whilst in motion.
How ever, dual dins are nice and clear to read when selecting MP3s or using the reverse camera.
But im really happy with my single din JVC dvd player.
phildough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B tuned by STi
I haven't put a single DVD in mine since I got it. But the touchscreen is nice and I can run my GPS through it so I like the big screen
Old 13-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
As Marc said, i only use mine for the DVD full of MP3s thing.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
when I did the wagon with the full Kenwood setup, I don't know what I was thinking at the time.

I had touch screen the blue tooth the TV the sat nav the lot all added.

We use to use it on the way to footy games on sunday watch the roast on the drive out.

Other times I've used it to more or less distract my passengers- You don't even need Jeena Haze just some Miley cyrus or PCD will keep everyone entertained and you can drive fast - no one notices it.
I use to use it in summer at lunch time to keep up with cricket or even just day time TV shows.

I prefer the touch screen function but ohneslty would not buy another one. At the time it was the only unti with USB function - about 4 years ago or more now. all others were similar cost for USB so I just did it all.

my only pain is now I need a digitla reciver. BUT

It's the best Sat NAV setup - it's built in now. I hate tom toms etc all thes move in out- I don't have one in my MX-6 because I like to get lost in it. but being a man I don't get lost.

but in the wagon the sat nav is best feature for the screen. It means you hit one button or two and you can have it all there it turns down the volume etc it's all perfect. Same for the bluetooth when it works. Worked better on me nokia loaded up the phone book these smart phones not so good.

for those tow reason only is - only thought of upgrade to my other cars. but my mx-6 still has a CK-1 blue tooth nokia system and it works and the old JVC head unit has telephone muting input. that soloution has lasted over 7 years.

even if you disable the ability to not watch and drive, its too hard too do. I usually sometimes in mornings leave it on sunrise or today and listen for news etc but normally the Ad's make me hit USB. pack hour traffic is bad enough with out being distracted by crap on Tv.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
SP-20-DB

Car: bj sp20 hatchback red
ive gotta a double din, i personally love it, i find it easier with the ipod conection as i can use the screen to select the song or playlist. yes it can be distracting but i only find it annoying when i do a cruise where the roads dont have street lights which i just turn the screen off. im soon going to upgrade to one with a gps. and set the tv up properly on it

time enjoyed wasting isnt time wasted
HANDLING>horsepower
SP-20-DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
mkid

Car: BK 3 SP23
Send a message via MSN to mkid
ive got a single din with 4" lcd screen on it (non foldout) it plays movies and everything
its also puts more information on the screen then a normal one will with its terrible little bar screen that they have
only time i play movies on it is long trips or when i have my nephew in the car
as for legality, if you bring it to a car stero shop for install then they will attach it to your hand brake signal so you cant play movies while driving
if you do it yourself then just wire it to a bolt somewhere on the car

Last edited by mkid; 14-07-2011 at 07:40 AM.
mkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
morganluke

Car: MY06 XT Forester/04 VY II Calais
I love my double din unit. Similar to the SP20, my Outback's stock unit was double din and was easy to install an aftermarket one. Fit really nicely and functionality is awesome.

Didn't get TV or GPS but I can watch DVDs if I want to. I flick it over while at a set of traffic lights or waiting for someone or something.

morganluke is offline   Reply With Quote