Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Classifieds > For Sale/Wanted

Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
pyromaniac11

Car: 1997 Mazda 323 BA Hardtop
WTB (QLD): JL Audio 4 channel amp and suitable sub

Sup guys. Account revival because university is too stressful, and buying new stuff for my car takes my mind off my impending academic doom.

So i currently have a sony xplodcrap subwoofer and and A-class design 800watt generic 4x channel amp (total cost for both = $80 from cashies, last year)...

Yer, stop laughing.

I want to upgrade to something more serious to match my JL audio 5x7's. I have a JVC H/U which outputs 5v RCA's (irrelevant? well the JB hifi clerk thought it was pretty cool :P) and rear sony 6x9's for quiet backseat fill, running off the H/U.

Im looking to bridge two channels to a SVC sub (preferably JL or JBL), and run the remaining two channels up to my 5 x 7's.
OR, looking to get a mono thats 2ohms stable and a DVC sub (if i parallel that badboy, it means double the power drawn to the one sub right?) and then maybe a 2channel for the front 5x7's.... only issue is that doing two amps means i have run another set of power cables down the car, right? Not a huge problem, but not exactly as easy an install as the first option.

But JBHIFI doesnt seem to be advertising (or stocking?) JL audio or JBL stuff anymore?? At least, my local one isnt. Or I'm blind? Whatever, most likely all of those reasons are true... Someone mentioned I might be able to get them to order some JL in, but the JL rrp is pretty steep, and ordering it in means no negotiating on price

Can someone hook me up with a store or even sell me something to suit? My budget is probably $500 (still waiting on my apple Ipod/printer rebate though...grr)

Cheers
Jim

Last edited by pyromaniac11; 13-04-2011 at 07:34 AM.
pyromaniac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 14-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
chewyryce

Car: NA MX5
ah if only you asked a few weeks earlier. i gave away my JL 15" sub in box to my friend. i was being too nice because he is a tightass.. dont even know why i gave it to him for LOL.
chewyryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
pyromaniac11

your response only makes me sadder

turns out JB hifi does stock JL! capalaba had just gone through a refurb and they hadnt been given a JL board to display stock on :\
Around $420 for the JL audio XD 4 channel, or $600 for a 2 channel + a mono (all XD series, low end)
And $320 for their cpr112w0 12" sub with box (slot port base wedge design...)

Which seat should i take? [/rebecca black reference]
It would also be another $100 for the "distribution box" for the 2 amplifiers to run off the 1 power cable from the battery terminal ...
Soo, 4channel is looking a lot better...

Advice?
Old 14-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
HAHA $100!!! what a joke. sorry but you can build one for less than $10, $15 if you go somewhat fancy with connectors. 100$ is a joke!
Old 14-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
pyromaniac11

can YOU build me one for $15? haha, my soldering/electronic skills are....well....somewhat "lacking" (non-existent)
Old 14-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B tuned by STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 View Post
HAHA $100!!! what a joke. sorry but you can build one for less than $10, $15 if you go somewhat fancy with connectors. 100$ is a joke!
This. Make sure you have a good power cable already, probably need 4 gauge or bigger I think...
Seems like a lot of money for a single sub setup to me though.. A much cheaper setup will still manage to have your car rattling like crazy. But I'm stingy
Old 14-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
smurfy

Car: sp20
have a look on http://www.ryda.com.au/Hot-Offers-s/518.htm
postage is pretty cheap.. mine speakers came in, in 2days

To many of us, our cars are an extension of our own personalities, the way we choose to modify reflects this.
smurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
pyromaniac11

http://www.ryda.com.au/JL-Audio-XD40...r-p/xd4004.htm $420... same price as JB is offering :\

and daniel, im as stingy as you haha! Dutch run's deep in my veins.
But I really do want a JL amp to power my JL's ... I know it'll absolutely blast them (in a good way). Subwoofer...i originally was gunna get JBL, but jbhifi doesnt stock em. I heard they had a lot of SPL compared to JL audio...

Is there somewhere i could get a cheaper distribution box??
Old 15-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
will you run a negative wire from the battery or tap off the chassis? for my low powered system i used one of the bolts under the seat with a lock washer... hasn't loosened after a year or so ... depends if you're chasing big power and if you have money to burn on 5m of wire... for me, solder, heatshrink, and another short piece of wire was my connection box... cost about 15c for the solder and 20c for heatshrink..
Old 15-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
pyromaniac11

will be grounding it to the chassi, similar to my current (pathetic) setup
the box was more to split the red + cable so that it could power both amplifiers (assuming i bought two)
I'm not going to buy two, lol. Cant afford to. Im thinking about a MTX RT12AV 12" sub for $100 from someone in inala, and $400 for the JL amp. I would get a better sub, but this MTX is somewhere around the quality of the JL but heaps cheaper (albeit second hand). Now if i could get a second hand JL sub, i'd be laughing! But doesnt seem to be a very common occurrence to see 2nd hand JL's
Old 15-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
A.E

Car: SP20 2002 yellow
https://web1.pioneer.com.au/itf/PHX/Phoenix.nsf/Index

Pioneer online shop. Got my 6" splits and 4 channel from there. They havnt missed a beat
A.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
pyromaniac11

bought a new xd400/4 off ebay for $340 ... man i love AUD -> USD conversion rate atm

Tags
jbl, jl audio, subwoofer, upgrade