Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
Asty93

BG K&N Panel Filter

Hey,

I realize there are a million posts about K&N filters but i couldnt find any information about the following...

I own a 1993 BG SOHC Astina and was going to put in a K&N panel filter, however after reading most of the posts to do with pod and panel filters, i was curious to see if anyone has actually done any testing as to which one is superiour.

The reasoning is that through my understanding of instalation of the pod filter, the resonator must be revmoved, and i have read a post on this site saying that it combined with the box is good for 5nM, so removing that is essentially removing 5nM from my car, and as its a SOHC thats quite a reduction...

What i really want to know is if i remove this and replace the filter box with a pod and chuck in a pipe for the C.A.I., will this still increase the performance from before or just make up the difference? or am i better off just replaceing the panel?...

If the pod is the way to go, i will *eventally* install perspecs or simerlar to act as a heat sheild between the engine and pod.

Any information will be awesome as im considering to buy it earlyish next week as the air filter needs replaceing soonish...

Cheers!!
Asty93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #2
mazdamanik

Car: Was an Astina now a Commohore :-(
Send a message via MSN to mazdamanik
hey man i also ahve the SOHC motor...i put a k&n panel in and u dont notice and overally large dif but aperntly with an exhaust system u notice it a bit more as the more air going in need to be couples with more going out
Old 30-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
MAztinA 323

Car: 1989 Nissan Silvia CA18DET
Send a message via MSN to MAztinA 323
hey, about that removal of resonator business, im getting a pod rather soon, and am wondering whether it would be possible to KEEP the resonator on and put some heatshielding around the pod (so its kinda like an air box) and connect the resonator to this new air box? then i could get the couple of kws with cai and keep the 5Nm of torque!~
because isnt the purpose of the resonator to get the same heat air as in the airbox and put it in a tube above the radiator.. then on cold mornings it helps or something (do u know cosmo dude??)

has anyone tried keeping the resonator with a pod? i know it may look 'ugly' but id rather have the extra torque for speed than engine bay looks (as i havent done much to my engine..)
MAztinA 323 is offline   Reply With Quote