Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
Are HID kits legal? Blue = unRWC?

Can someone clear up the legislation/legality of HID kits? For the RWC I'm getting, I had to replace the kit with stock set up. Ok. but why did they state "blue lights are unacceptable?" BMW's & Mercs use blue LED lamps.

Autobarn suggested it may be that aftermarket kits don't allow for "self-leveling" as due the late model Euro cars. Would this be true? I just spent $100 & heaps of time removing the kit due to the piping in the TT, so I'm a little pissed. Luv to have this cleared up. Thanks guys

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
NaughtyGT

Well guys, apparently they're not legal because unless they have the following:

Standard Projector lights designed for HID bulbs.
Self levelers
Headlight washers

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
mikey_something

Car: 1998 Toyota Supra 3.0L Twin Turbo
This has been discussed on almost all posts about HID installs.
Legal, no. Will you get hunted down for them? Only if you have > 6000k misaligned so they are blinding everyone.
And in your case, if the car is being examined professionally in all areas
mikey_something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
NaughtyGT

I know I could put kit back on after RWC final on Thurs but I didn't like the way the bulb resin was melted......there's so much tech gear under this hood I'm not real sure about it now......

sorry if this topic has been rehashed too many times but this caught me by surprise as they were fitted by previous owner & not something I've delved into before. You don't research something unless it appeals to you or you need to. I was just caught off guard......

Last edited by NaughtyGT; 02-05-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
Well, IMO, I would of left them on

But, if you are looking to keep legal, just go for a really clear regular bulb, such as the Philips Diamond Vision 5000k bulbs, you might have to check that the bulbs aren't getting too hot and melting anything, but boy do they look better than stock!

Back on the HID's. I'm currently fitting a kit to my 323. The BA has a projector globe which I should be able to convince the cop that its legal if I aim them a little low and call them self levelling
Old 02-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
A.E

Car: SP20 2002 yellow
This day and age most cops won't hassle you unless your being a cock. Seriously every man and his dog have HiDs now.
A.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B tuned by STi
Sounds like they were installed a little unusual to me, but could be a TT thing... I can replace mine in 5 minutes by unplugging the ballast, replacing the bulb, then reattaching the harness to the original bulb.... Actually make that half an hour by the time I get the stupid bulb holding clip back in place

Not sure what caused melting.. HIDs run at lower/same wattage as halogens and are more efficient at producing light, therefore, more light and less heat.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisdaniel View Post
Not sure what caused melting.. HIDs run at lower/same wattage as halogens and are more efficient at producing light, therefore, more light and less heat.
Sorry, may not have made that clear. I was talking about the Philips Diamond bulbs, not HID's! I know they run much more efficient.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLY 323 View Post
Well, IMO, I would of left them on

But, if you are looking to keep legal, just go for a really clear regular bulb, such as the Philips Diamond Vision 5000k bulbs, you might have to check that the bulbs aren't getting too hot and melting anything, but boy do they look better than stock!

Back on the HID's. I'm currently fitting a kit to my 323. The BA has a projector globe which I should be able to convince the cop that its legal if I aim them a little low and call them self levelling
Cops maybe. RWC shop NO! Car is being roadworthied so I don't have a choice but replace them. But I could put them back after yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisdaniel View Post
Sounds like they were installed a little unusual to me, but could be a TT thing... I can replace mine in 5 minutes by unplugging the ballast, replacing the bulb, then reattaching the harness to the original bulb.... Actually make that half an hour by the time I get the stupid bulb holding clip back in place

Yeah don't know about the melting but yeah the Zed TT leaves no room for your hands. IC piping & thick, heavy harness make it a real hell to work on. If you wanted to remove the headlights you have to remove front bar & unscrew light cradle from beneath (could you imagine the room NOT when turbos are situated underneath the exhaust manifolds?)

Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.E View Post
This day and age most cops won't hassle you unless your being a cock. Seriously every man and his dog have HiDs now.

that's why if you have projector headlights like on a BA - which are best of the 323's. you get car in front of you about 20m's and make sure you lights are just at the bottom on his rear bumper - a good test is a SS rear defuser crap just on it. Then No one gets the ****s with your lights - it's still more then with in the reasons of aim.

But Projector I don't know in Vic. but The Lex has stock HIDS from new they are standard H4 single beam globe with self leveling and washers.
but the one difference is the colour. I think IMO they like 4800K+ but not 6K. My 6K in one of my cars is way whiter and matches my white LEDs but the LEDs in Lex don't match the stock HID's Much more green.

It's not being a Dick that HIDS get you done by. It's When F-WHITS add Green Washer led's and REd LEDs and Blue LEDs or Pruple LEds to their cars and of course even better when they are not HOONS.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 AM   #11
o.g.sk8er

Car: Mazda Pro5
here in the US, if the car wasnt equipped with HID's from the factory, they're considered illegal. But like AE said, unless you're being a dick, you'll probably have no issues unless you have like 8k and above ratings. lol
I have 6k and wish I bought 5k.
just to be safe, I mounted my ballasts all stealth like. lol some cops will issue a ticket if they pop the hood and see the ballasts. they wont see mine thats for sure! hehe

Old 03-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #12
NaughtyGT

The Zed kit was done perfectly. Hidden under front air ram & AFM panel. For a RWC, they are illegal due to reasons previously posted. Fact they were BLUE shouldn't have mattered imo since Beemas & Mercs come out with blue bulbs.

Why the resin on back of low beam bulb melted is something that puzzle me though

Old 03-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyGT View Post
Why the resin on back of low beam bulb melted is something that puzzle me though
I'm wondering if that's from when the headlights were blacked out.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
NaughtyGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
I'm wondering if that's from when the headlights were blacked out.
do you think the smoke glass has something to do with it?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
chicaboo

I dunno, but they have to bake the headlights in an oven, or use a heat gun to separate the lens from the housing before they can paint them. Unless they are black from the factory and have melted for some other reason? HIDs don't run as hot as halogen AFAIK.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #16
NaughtyGT

Gav. It's the 3 prong bulb holder itself melted, not the headlight so I'm still puzzled.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
chicaboo

Oh nose, you're farked!
Old 25-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #18
Big Damo

Car: 2009 WS Fiesta CL
Yes they are illegal, but if you're going to do them please do them properly, example;

Retrofit some HID projectors/reflectors to your current headlight housings so you have a proper beam cut-off, it looks cooler, better light output and you don't get heaps of glare and blind other drivers unintentionally by using a plug and play HID kit on a halogen reflector, which aren't designed for HID lights. When you use halogen reflectors on HID lights, you get bad glare because it throws light everywhere, annoys other drivers, its also no way near as good as the proper setup regarding light pattern/output.

I'm in the early stages of converting my Dad's BJII-J48 to HID and I've gone ahead and ordered some OEM HID Reflector (HID reflector, not halogen) headlight assemblies from Rupe on the forum here and some proper D2R globes (5000K, white, 4300K is OEM fitment which has a slight yellow tinge, but still white).

6000K is rediculous, its a blue light and you lose light intensity (lumens) over 4300/5000K and apparently they're quite useless in the rain.

Believe me, the $200 plug and play HID kit sounds good, but wait until someone who has them is approaching you, its like they have their highbeams on and pointed at your face, even though they're aimed at the ground.

Spend the extra time and money and do it right.

They'll still be illegal because no window washers and auto-levelers but the chances of getting pulled up with them compared to a plug and play blind-o-vision HID kit would be much lower.

I'll show some pictures when I've done the ones on my old mans car
Big Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
mikey_something

Car: 1998 Toyota Supra 3.0L Twin Turbo
1: 6000k = diamond white, I'll accept 8000k is blue, let's not be silly
2: yes you do lose light output over 5000k, but seeing as how with 35W 6000k you're still getting 30% more light output, who cares?
3: ridiculous, not rediculous.
4: no one here I can recall has spent $200 on a set of HIDs. You could easily upgrade lows, highs, and fogs for a bit over half that.
mikey_something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 04:43 AM   #20
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
Actually I spent more than 250 on my high beams.