Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > Australia Wide

Old 16-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
2007 Annual Cruise ideas

Just thought I would get in first and start a thread on the '07 Annual Cruise.

I would love to see all the associated clubs work together for one MASSIVE event.
Between us at AGT, and OMC/OMZ, the fordlaser.com and mazdafours, lets all make it a huge event to remember.

Red Frog: You did such a terrific job with the Annual Cruise to Berrima that I would love to see your talents at work again to make it one to remember.

So yeah, this thread is just for ideas, and to invite everyone to share thoughts.

How about it?

Cheers
^..^
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 16-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
PLEASE keep OMC out of OUR general annual cruise! They will organise their own "stuck in traffic for 2 hours then stand around with open bonnets in a carpark for 4 hours in 40 degree heat" cruise if they like...

But the AGT cruise has flavour, it's something special. What Leigh put together earlier in the year was really good. If only she could have used her powers for evil and banished all the traffic from Woolloongong coast and Macquaries Pass, then it woulda bee 100%.

Personally, if I'm driving a million miles for a southern cruise, I want to go on 2 or 3 cruises over a weak rather than 1 big ****ty cruise with 100 cars in it...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
PLEASE keep OMC out of OUR general annual cruise! They will organise their own "stuck in traffic for 2 hours then stand around with open bonnets in a carpark for 4 hours in 40 degree heat" cruise if they like...

But the AGT cruise has flavour, it's something special. What Leigh put together earlier in the year was really good. If only she could have used her powers for evil and banished all the traffic from Woolloongong coast and Macquaries Pass, then it woulda bee 100%.

Personally, if I'm driving a million miles for a southern cruise, I want to go on 2 or 3 cruises over a weak rather than 1 big ****ty cruise with 100 cars in it...
you do get 3 cruises

the sleepy cruise down south
the huge massive fkoff cruise
the sleepy cruise home

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I don't mind traveling and would rather a more 'boutique' meeting.
Australia day would be just a little too post Christmas for me to bankroll a trip up north (unless I can swing a work trip).
Other than that I'd be up for a weekend gathering in the 2007.
Old 16-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
i'm definately with gavvie on this one. big big cruises suck.

what would people think of moving the annual cruise back further in the year when the heat is a bit less anti-polar-bear-gav???
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
Mazda_Brian

Car: Soarer Twin Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Mazda_Brian Send a message via Yahoo to Mazda_Brian
Quote:

I am quite offended by this statement, but I do know the cruise you are reffering to, and this was NOT OzMazdaClub's annual cruise, it was a long weekend cruise that was organised in the wrong area at the wrong time.

OzMazdaClub's previous annual cruise was to Bobbin Head national park, where we had BBQ, prizes, giveaways, soccer, cricket, frisbies, people getting into remote controlled cars, etc.

Anyway, if I am invited I would love to come along, as Berrima last year was nothing short of awesome!!!!

B.
Old 16-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
No fuzz cuz, I'm not saying don't have an OMC cruise, or that noone should go to either one. I am saying dont' combine the two. It is somewhat historic to maintain the flavour of the clubs cruises, and there is a distinct difference in the memberbase and their outlooks on cars and towards each other between OMC and AGT.

Soz that your offended, hope that explains a bit.
Cheers, Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
papatonga
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1997 Mazda BA Astina
I was in attendance oon both of the cruises that happened at the beginning of the year.

I believe that the first cruise lacked quite a bit of planning. I am sure this has been rectified and will not happen in the future.

The cruise that Red Frog organised earlier in the year was just awesome. it was a lot more thought out and involved plenty of fun roads...i'd definately be up for another similar cruise

papatonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
Red Frog

Car: My feet :p
GAH!! *blush * if u're gonna do something, do it right! and i like getting it 110% right, if possible. i'm happy to help organise the 2007 annual agt cruise - of course! - but a little closer to the date. i'm trying to get a hunter cruise up and running for october, so that's the focus atm.

thou in saying that.....
maybe this time we should do an o/nite annual cruise so it's worthwhile for any interstaters, whereva we go?
so a sat-sun. then it's a lot more relaxed and no rushing around. i'm more than happy to get us the best deal on accom ie. roomy cabins in a c/park, where we can all hang out, drink, talk, hav a campfire (so long as there's no firebans!) etc etc. or even camping. if i wasn't a teacher, i'd be working in tourism lol

how bout up nth nsw this time? inland around bellingen (about 40mins sth of coffs harbour) and dorrigo national park? that area would have some fantastic rds and gorgeous scenery!! this is half way for the sydney and qld ppl. is much further for the mexicans, but we're never going to please every1. ne suggestions on this?

Last edited by Red Frog; 17-08-2006 at 06:38 PM. Reason: where did my map run off too?? *confused look*
Red Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #10
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread.
I do understand the differences between AGT and other clubs cruises, but we had a schmozzle with 2 cruises on the same weekend and members of both clubs had to choose. This is really what I'm looking at trying to avoid.
There are also those members that believe a cruise is driving at irresponsible speeds for hours and hours at a time. I will admit to you all that I cannot do that with my health at it's current standard - or lack thereof.

I do like the overnight idea.
If we want to do something like that, then definately not during the hottest part of the year.

What about an Easter Weekend Cruise? Not sure when that is on in 2007, but it is usually April/May. People get some time off work, and with enough notice, surely most people can not let themselves get double booked for other events.

I certainly vote Red Frog as Cruise Co-Ordinator (memory flashback: Julie - from the Love Boat!) The Frog does excellent recon on the roads and area, provides maps so everyone knows where they are going, ensures facilities at stops as well as having meaningful/entertaining stops that aren't all standing around with bonnets up.

It's good to have a variety so that lots of people can choose to either look under bonnets or go and have a nice meal or go and look at some tourist attraction in the local area.

I think up North is an excellent idea. I have been to Byron Bay once, and would love a chance to see that area again. Aaron and I also travelled the inland route in February, so we can recommend Dubbo (the Zoo is amazing).

For any mexicans that want to travel for this shindig, our home is open to any and all to stop over. We can do a 'road trip' to meet up with our Sydney members and then head on up North.
The QLD members of AGT always put an effort into travelling for these big cruises, so I think North is a wonderful idea. Although we have family in Coffs Harbour, we are not interested in visiting them.

I love Frogs idea of campfire n fun, as long as I don't have to sleep in a tent please?
Cabins would be nice, and if we booked for 2 days, it gives everyone some time together as well as the opportunity to do fun stuff in the area.
because I have suggested the Easter Weekend, we really do need to think about booking ASAP as we all know that Easter can be a nightmare to find accom if we don't plan ahead. The other option might be March, as it isn't too close to Xmas or easter, and isn't searingly hot everywhere you go. If we are travelling North, we can go closer to winter and get lovely weather. Lets face it, anything is better than winter in ACT lol

I'm going to go and look at some of the local tourism websites, and with any luck, I will post some linky links for everyone to have a squizz at.

Cheers and lets keep this bubbling along and ensure we all have a fantastic event for people so that we can ensure a good time is had by everyone
Old 17-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #11
Mazda_Brian

Car: Soarer Twin Turbo
Send a message via MSN to Mazda_Brian Send a message via Yahoo to Mazda_Brian
Quote:
No fuzz cuz, I'm not saying don't have an OMC cruise, or that noone should go to either one. I am saying dont' combine the two. It is somewhat historic to maintain the flavour of the clubs cruises, and there is a distinct difference in the memberbase and their outlooks on cars and towards each other between OMC and AGT.

Soz that your offended, hope that explains a bit.
Cheers, Gav.
Sorry, took it the wrong way....

OMC will not be setting up a competition cruise near the same time as this cruise, as this would mean the members that are on both sides would have to choose which club they would prefference, rather than enjoying the differences of both clubs.

The thing I like about both clubs is there is a difference, some people like to drive, have a nice meal, and a chat, etc, and drive home, and others like to drive and drive, and then have a 5 min chat before going home again, and then there are others that would be happy to just m,eet at Point A, lift the bonnet and brag about what's done underneath.....

The 2 clubs have done a great job in covering the taste of many members, and it's awesome to get a change to chop and change flavours.

If I am invited, I would love to come along, and an overnight option as Kitty is suggesting would be awesome, and I would preffer cabins as well, drive up somewhere, have a BBQ in the evening, chat and tell camp stories until our eye-lids fall closed, and then retire to bed.

Sleep in in the morning, wake up to Bacon and eggs, and tomatoes, chat all morning about anything, then drive home lunch time/afternoon.

Doing all this in the company of good friends.

B.
Old 17-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #12
skitz
I'm not as dumb as my posts would indicate

Car: astina ba 97
Send a message via MSN to skitz
so um if this so planned thing happens where were u planing of going?????

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Wakefield Park: 1:14.8100

skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #13
Red Frog

well my map decided to take a trip sumwhere.....

but after i posted last nite, i did realise that a weekend isn't long enuff and DID think of the easter long weekend being a great idea instead.
yah!! this is fantastic: easter falls RIGHT at the beginning of april, so it'll still be relatively warm!! that was my only issue: that if it was late april, it will be getting cooler and shorter days.

easter 2007 long weekend: fri 6, sat 7, sun 8, mon 9 april!! that works out really well!! that allows every1 to get to the destination, then a couple of days of R&R and cruising, then there's time to get home.

Dorrigo Mountain Resort
Prices work out to be $48/head for 3 nights!
Old 18-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #14
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Fantastic work O'Froggy one!
Sounds perfect.
And as they say "great minds think alike" or "fools never differ" either way, I think we can make a good go of this one
The time of year is fantastic, and with 7 months notice, it should come together quite nicely
Yes, we need to book ASAP.
If people pay in advance for their accom, then that reduces actual costs on the cruise weekend to petrol and food. It also means we have great accom, that the date is plugged into everyone's diary and that means people won't get double booked with family obligations or promising to do X, Y or Z on the same day.

I'd like to suggest a new topic/thread that will contain only details.
If anyone wants to chat about it, we come back to this thread so we have one specifically for details and people don't need to wade through conversation to find what they're looking for.
I can helpfully move any posts that appear in the wrong thread.

Accom: That place looks really awesome, I would like to add my vote.
I'll also be greedy and book the twin share cabin for Aaron and I - trust me everyone, you don't want to sleep in my cabin, I snore!!!
I also noted the cheaper alternative for those people that want to pitch a tent here:
http://www.dorrigomountainresort.com...dc_prices.html
At least that means we have something for everyone.

I would like to see us open it to car enthusiasts of all kinds, and show everyone that the AGT Family welcomes one and all. For example, Ian and Anita from the XR6Turbo club would probably come if invited.
I would also like to encourage all the members from VIC and SA to join the fun, and if anyone wants to travel across the paddock from WA - mega Kudos!!!
I know we can always count on a strong representation from QLD, so come on rest of Australia, are you up for the challenge? LOL

Alrighty, I'll stop blathering for the moment, but I do think it's a great idea and I hope that AGT gets behind it and supports what could turn out to be a huge event.

Cheers

Great stuff Leigh, you're the champion cruise director!
*does big cheerleader dance*
Old 18-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
skitz
I'm not as dumb as my posts would indicate

Car: astina ba 97
Send a message via MSN to skitz
that all sound pritty cool atm are noobs from act cool to tag along?????

09 Mazda RX-8 GT

Wakefield Park: 1:14.8100

skitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #16
KittyKatSmack
Banned

LOL, skitz, that's the whole point
Everyone is Welcome
Old 19-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #17
Red Frog

hang on, before we get too over excited could we make a poll miss kitty to see if everyone is happy with a long weekend cruise and is happy for us to organise it? i don't want to step on anyone's toes, if they had other suggestions or might be a little disinterested due to the location. i know we're never going to please everyone, but lets get a bit of a poll happening to get a concensus on what people are interested in.

to date these people have shown interest in the above cruise:

kitty + aaron
red frog
chicaboo
skitz
brian + danielle
papatonga
rod
twiggy
Old 19-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #18
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Will have to see closer to the chosen date, but it sounds promising atm.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2006, 06:00 AM   #19
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Dan you WILL be there as I WILL
So Ner
In case anyone missed that
I will be driving a MAZDA of inexplicible and unknown descendancy
If anyone wants to see what a dumb idea can evolve into as time and boredom passes then turn up to this and you may be fortunate enough to get a ride in the scary machine, I will be scared thats for sure
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #20
Aaron
Stiff Member

Car: 1994 Lynx BP-T
Just to throw my ideas into the mix as a resident of the Coffs harbour area for a number of years.

The roads will be average to good surface and there may be some cool nights and perhaps some frosty roads as well. The trip up to Dorrigo Mountain can be done balls out, but I strongly suggest no one tries it as there's more chance of coming back dead than coming back a hero.

I can definitely suggest a couple of tours from the Dorrigo base including:
* Down through the hills to Bellingen, quick highway run up to Sawtell, cruise through the main street, then jink into Coffs Harbour for some pics by the sea, Fish and Chips at the Marina. Then continue the journey back into the hills through Coramba and onto Nana Glen (Home of Russell Crowe). Do coffee/drinks there, then either go up ont he back roads through the hills back to Dorrigo, or jink back out North to the highway and hop up the coast a little more.

* Dorrigo out west to then head north through the hills, pop out at Grafton and return via the coast.

Overall it depends if people want activities (like what watching/surfing/lounging/bush walking/marine park) or sight seeing through the region.

Activities could be blend into cruises such as the trip down to Coffs stopping at the Pet Porpoise Pool for their afternoon show. Big Banana to take the Mono-Rail tour around the place etc.

The Dorrigo/Glenreagh steam railway is a definite option, I don't know if it's running completely between the two ends yet but I think the Dorrigo end has a decent setup....Dorrigo Mountain Railway or somethign I think.

----
On the organisational front i woudl like to think we could run the cruise under the banner of AGT, but honestly it woudl be awesome if we could invite OMC/Mazda4s/Fl.com etc along for the trip, all our cars and forums share common platforms and getting us all together would make it one of the biggest mazda/ford small car gatherings around. Joint cruises can be great when we planned and managed, we at AGT have the people and the skills to make it happen.

The main thing is to separate "transit" cruises where we're going from Point A to point B enjoying the scenery, and "display" cruises where we're working to show the group off to the public. Each requires different levels of hanging together and with good planning everyone can enjoy the experience.

I would also like to suggest we select a national charity and raise some funds over the weekend. Be it by running a couples of raffles (I'm sure B3M , ausmicro, and a coupel of our other resident businesses could offer some affordable prizes) taking donations, or having a public display. Yeah this sounds odd coming from me, but I reckon the PR opportunity from having us roll up, potentially get the local Ford Dealers and the local Mazda Dealers on-side for some promo photos and some assitance in making the logistics up there happen (say we ask every attraction to donate $$ of each ticket we pre-book to the cause?).

I'm suggesting the above not becuase I have a do-gooder syndrome but becuase we'll be travelling in a group, drawing a lot of attention and not be able to go fast thanks to double-demerits. Everytime we stop we will attract attention, lets use that for a positive. It will put our group in a good light over the weekend, maybe get us some media (good for those of us with businesses) and good for the overall perception of modified car owners - which is pretty crap through regional Australia.

Anyways my thoughts as they stand

A.