Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
Shotpeening ????

been doing heaps of research lately for my turbo conversion as I don't want the car to be off the road ever second week so looking at doing things write the first time,

and came a cross a thread from "Dapps85" where he said he had his gearbox ( I assume internals) shotpeened.

now Dapps85 car is the same car of the late Smouch and well that gearbox never seemed to have any trouble holding up to the power it was delivered.

can I can't really justify spending 3250 just on a gearset from PAR. and then spend the time to install it and new bearings and of cause you wouldn't go doing all that with out sticking a Mfactory or of the likes in it as well.

so I would be looking at like an easy $4500 gearbox and well really I don't have that much money laying around after I fork out the money to build my engine and complete the turbo conversion.

so does anyone know about this and where it's done and if it would be worth it ??

or am I just ganna have to save the coins and get the gearset?? and keep my mate putting G seires gearboxes away at his work for me??

Cheers
Andy

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Rev the gearbox out, don't dump a heap of torque low in the rev range and it'll last for years. A straight cut 3rd gear is extra insurance.

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Clean_Cookie
obsessed-incomplete-broke

Car: BA Hardtop/Hatch
I've gone for the "labour intensive" option with an LSD. I figure if I blow one or two, or three standard boxes it'll last longer for the money than a set of par gears. I'd rather do a whole box swap like mat is doing for the $4000!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
I assume we are talking about a G-series gearbox?

Thing is Mazda Shot peened on some models the Gears.

It's listed in the Gv1022/Gv1023 and gv1124 and GD 1022 model updates the 3rd 4th and 5th gears are all Shotpeened. Marked with white. But it's only on the 2.2LT - which was only exported to US - AUS. UK Wagon only - Germany Wagon only. They also did the secondary shaft.
I've heard of a few laser owners of KE's and KF's using this gears set ratios are very long too. All on big boost BP's

Does it make a difference. YES. the old F2 N/A 2.2Lt is known to blow it's own diff.

As mentioned. you can blow any gearbox from abuse.
Even a box out of my old 626 with NO abuse - original owner was Mum with school reports under backseat. I pulled that diff all planet gears tips stripped. I only drove it for 3 weeks and could not abuse it because - engine was gone.

but the one Item I know that SAVES box's. And I could put many dirty jokes here.

but what saves them. Other things break.
So you put Diff - you put 3rd gear. eventually you do the shafts or similar.

You don't need power. You see people with Turbo'd Yaris or Civic and go how does he not blow this or that. Good box. No 80% pussy driver 20% it's because his car has NO GRIP. Over sized Rims - Cheap tyres.

Clutch is the best item to use as a fuse or weak point. Many people put in a clutch way to heavy or over clamped. Even Disc's that you don't need. I've seen cars with like 200HP and they have 4 puck clutch - Oh ah - 200HP engine I need a super clutch.

Funny KL-ZE has 200HP and it's clutch is not over clamped has full face organic spring loaded centre. Very important that for gear box solid centre just breaks most.
Yes it does depend on engines power delivery. but many over do it and break things.

Don't get me wrong it's fun.

Don't panic about the box yet until you get it to break it.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
SLY 323

Car: 95' Mazda BA 323
How much are you expecting to put down?

The boxes will hold well over the 200kw mark if your not thrashing the box itself.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
HAIGHIE

Car: 99, BJ 323 astina hatch
I'm aiming for ruffly about the 250Fwkw on max boost what ever i work it out to be. With about a 10 psi daily drive tune but i really don't know untill i get the engine built and on the road and dyno'd to see what power it makes and what avaliable to increase power if need be. Might even be hppy with less but i do want a weapon not haft assing this.

HAIGHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
One of the guys in the US keeps a stock of spare G-series gearboxes in his shed. When he breaks gears or whatnot, he just tears it down and transfers all the goodies into a new box. The reasoning behind this is that it is much cheaper than spending thousands on PAR gearsets and other strategies.

There is a cheap SP20 G-series gearbox on eBay in Victoria at the moment

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Mad Mat
HONEYWELL REPRESENT

Car: 1997 BA Hardtop - Had a 2003 BJii J48 Sport20, and 2x bg SOHC astina hatches
Send a message via MSN to Mad Mat
i did a **** load of research on this about 14months ago and i decided to play it safe and go for a sw20 box converion.. cost the same as putting a Mfactory lsd, par third gear and converting from f series to g series for me.. and is been proven to hold +300fwkws under abuse..

1994 323 BG Hatch 2005-2007 Crashed into truck
1991 323 BG Hatch 2007-2008/9 SOLD
2003 BJ SP20 J48 Hatch 2008-2011 Regretfully SOLD
1997 BA I4 Sedan 2012-CURRENT
1985 BF 323 Hatch 2014-2015
SOLD
1989 MX5 2015-2015
Mad Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
YOu know whats funny How many of you put down I want XXX amount of power.

Yet I think some of you have well - I know some haven't either HAD XX amount let alone driven a FWD car with XXX amount.

250FWKW's that makes around close too 400HP at the fly?

Not only do some Not even buy the right bits to do it. Like undersized turbo - OH it won't be laggy. Forget it any small cap engine with Big turbo is laggy period.

But I know it's my opinion but I think like half the other projects I've seen done then dusted you don't get anywhere fast. Un driveable unreliable and all to chase a number eg time or Dyno figure.

a FWD muscle car Does not work.

But yes the Toyota Box is the way to go if your going all out.
You can even upgrade it to something to hold a lot more.

Just remember ONE little problem with this - GOING BACK TO STOCK. Because you will if you don't Engineer in NSW and get done over. If it's bad enough it's a serious violation. NSW more so. QLD your Mod plate covers.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
lukeyprotege
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2003 MAZDA 323 BJ II-J48 PROTEGE
just wanted to say this build is going to be awesome!!
lukeyprotege is offline   Reply With Quote