Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 16-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
Variable TPS

i found out something very interesting yesterday. Whilest doing an engine insertation into the catmobile my noticed that the SOHC auto astina's come with a variable TPS. When you think about it that makes perfect sense because that is how the ECU knows to kick it back a cog with you give it a bootful

'So what' you say ... WELL!! the SP's (and SOHC manuals i would presume) only get a switch type - ON or OFF, so for those of us out there with an BG BP and aftermarket management (are you reading this dave??) a quick TPS change, presuming they are interchangable, and all of a sudden the ecu just became a bit more tunable

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 16-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
my bpt has a variable TPS

Tony used to drive with it disconnected - apparently it improved response i think ?
Old 16-12-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
QuicKSilveR
AstinaGT Regular

Car: '01 Nissan Silvia s15 (Ex Ford Laser TX3 Turbo FAN74)
Send a message via MSN to QuicKSilveR
I've driven heaps without TPS on BPT and B6T. When I first put the Microtech in I had it as ON / OFF. Now I have it on Variable........but the BPT (and I assume) BP have a Variable wire on the TPS
Old 16-12-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

as far as i can work out the BP has an on off (three pronged plug) and the variable (which comes on the BPT as you said) is a four prong plug. I remember this from when we did the MT install and it was a difference between 323mazdabators car (BPT enhanced ) and mine.

driving without a TPS probably will get a better response, but hopefully with on i will improve hwy fuel economy???

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Old 16-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #5
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
bah fuel economy is for people who drive like grannies.
Old 16-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #6
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

and poor apprentices like me

I THINK I AM N2!
Old 16-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
Osprey06
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 1987 Mazda 323 'SS' FWD turbo
Send a message via ICQ to Osprey06 Send a message via MSN to Osprey06
I find it difficult to believe the BP only has a 3 pin TPs (open, closed, somewhere in between). The early spec B6Ts ran a TPS like this, but late spec jobs run a 4pin variable resistance TPS. Still, I don't know BP/Ts very well, I just assumed if the B6T had variable, the BP's (at least twin cam jobs) would have one as well...

I ran around with my TPS unplugged for a little and noticed nothing except very off idle (nearly stalling, then compensating too high, then nearly stalling etc). I was just testing pulling codes from the ecu.
Osprey06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
BigBoyLemonade
The Architect

Car: AUSDM S6 RX7
Send a message via ICQ to BigBoyLemonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogo
bah fuel economy is for people who drive like grannies.
Yeah the more sensors I d/c the fastest the car went on less boost! Used a hell of a lot more fuel though

Infinite Networks- Creative Web design and powerful online application solutions
BigBoyLemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #9
EVOlution

I have a BG 1992 DOHC and it has a crappy switch type TPS - that is crap, I thought being a '92 model would mean decent electronics but one day I will try driving with the crappy switch TPS disconnected and see if it goes any better (or worse).
I have a serious flat spot off idle, it's pissing me off big time and I can't find anyone who can give any other advice than "replace the ECU with aftermarket....." duh easy fix but I want to REALLY fix it, solve the damn flat spot problem and know why the fk it is happening in the first place
I am buying a Familia 4WD turbo engine to drop in soon but I still want to get this engine sorted until I can get the turbo engine rebuilt and installed.
EVOlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #10
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
A variable TPS doesn't realy tell the ECU anything it doesn't already know. If you want max power then you will activate the WOT, else the AFM will let the ECU know that you want more or less power and the O2 sensor will ensure you are using the right amount of fuel.
Old 17-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #11
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOlution
I have a serious flat spot off idle, it's pissing me off big time and I can't find anyone who can give any other advice than "replace the ECU with aftermarket....." duh easy fix but I want to REALLY fix it, solve the damn flat spot problem and know why the fk it is happening in the first place
Check your timing. Standard timing should be at 10 degrees advanced.

Unplugging your TPS will do very little...as mentioned it just tells the ECU when it's not idling...but the AFM there as the main ECU input.
Old 18-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #12
EVOlution

Ok, have to go buy a timing light. Might have to buy a full service manual so I can really get into this car and start fixing it up completely back to brand new. Might restore the whole car then look at dropping in the turbo engine. Just picked one up that's done 29,000km genuine out of a Familia 4WD.
Old 19-12-2005, 10:15 AM   #13
jrp928

Usuallly a on/off tps is supplemented by manifold pressure sensor to give the extra information, so i really wouldnt worry about it too much. If you did swap one in where it wasnt before, will all the pins have connecting wires? If not, waste of time. If yes, try it with pressure sensor connected and disconnected.
jp 89,91 bg, 92 mx5
jrp928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #14
CHiMPY
mew?

Car: one with 4 wheels...
Send a message via ICQ to CHiMPY
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOlution
Just picked one up that's done 29,000km genuine out of a Familia 4WD.
Where from and where is mine?

"Verily, thou shalt not take unto thine heart any words spoken by the Luser, for I say unto thee, their mouths spout naught but excrement."
CHiMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 08:54 AM   #15
EVOlution

I might be able to get them again, I do some work at a private rally workshop and it was a spare that was purchased for their Familia rally sprint car. I may not even use it yet and if I do it might go up for sale it was part of a whole front cut.
Anyway, back on topic - i have checked my timing and it's a perfect 10 degrees, rock solid and dead on..... now I will go check and maybe replace the manifold pressure sensor if it has one. This is getting to be a bastard of a car - I bought a lemon maybe I'll paint it yellow, grrrr.
Old 24-12-2005, 09:22 AM   #16
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
You don't have one, it uses the AFM for that. So that's probably the next thing you should check.

Start replacing stuff like Feul filter and spark plugs and even leads. The leads if you buy em can be used on the BPT when you get it.
Old 24-12-2005, 02:39 PM   #17
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp928
Usuallly a on/off tps is supplemented by manifold pressure sensor to give the extra information, so i really wouldnt worry about it too much. If you did swap one in where it wasnt before, will all the pins have connecting wires? If not, waste of time. If yes, try it with pressure sensor connected and disconnected.
jp 89,91 bg, 92 mx5
I have already have a microtech installed which reads manifold pressure instead of using the ****ty AFM, and also gives me all the wires i need to hook it up. Im not worried about power, well i am but that is not why i am looking at installing it! the only reason i was looking at it is the microtech is set up to accept a TPS and hopefully finer tuning and wiz bang functions might work a bit better with the variable TPS

I THINK I AM N2!