Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 15-06-2003, 03:12 PM   #1
Tony

Weird Smells and Idle Speed all over the joint

Guys,

Hope someone can help cause this is a weird one. A couple of weeks ago I put a drop-in K&N filter in my 92 Astina SP. The other day I uprated the exhaust by having a performance muffler fitted.

Now, just before I had the muffler fitted I noticed this weird burning smell coming through the airvents (when switched to outside airflow). The smell has a kind of oily, elctrical odour. I also noticed a kind of vapour coming from the left hand side of the bonnet (when I was idling at the lights). I took it into the garage and they said the alternator was faulty cause it was charging the battery at 15.5v and causing it to boil (hence the vapour and smell). Anyway, the replaced the alternator but the damned smell is still there. I took it back again and they took it for a drive with me in the car to point it out. Trouble is, it didn't smell did it!

I've checked under the bonnet and it seems to be coming from the area where the battery is. I've wiped the lining attached to the bonnet but no joy. This smell isn't noticable when driving, only when idling. Which brings me to my second problem.

When I took it out of the garage after the alternator was replaced I noticed the idling speed drop from 800rpm to 500rpm (like it was struggling) - I took it back straight away and they just increased the idling speed which obviously fixed it but I'm now noticing that the idling speed noticably fluctuates.

As you can imagine, I'm starting to get pretty pissed with all this but I don't know what to look for next. The smell is elusive.

Can anyone please give me any clues. By the way, I don't think it's the paint off the new muffler cause I had that fitted after but I'm just curious if the filter and the muffler have affected the idling at all.

Thanks guys
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 15-06-2003, 06:10 PM   #2
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Try removing the distributer cap and giving it a smell, it's electric, it has grease in it and can affect your idle.
It's also close to the battery

Lots of luck, hope it isn't that 'cos that can be a bit pricy
Old 15-06-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
Tony

Actually, funny you should mention that cause when I was having a sniff around the engine bay the only place I could really identify as being similar it was around the distributor. Good call - I'll check it out.
Old 15-06-2003, 07:19 PM   #4
Toyboy

Car: Ba Astina
Send a message via MSN to Toyboy
Are you sure it isnt something simple like oil on the exhaust from a leak maybe :?:
Old 15-06-2003, 08:25 PM   #5
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Toyb'y is right.
A common problem with the DOHC B series engine is an 'O' ring that seals the valve cover around the dizzy. Can't see that changing the idle tho.

Somethin' else I've gotta fix :x :x

Also hate that when I clean the engine (I always spill oil, no matter how big the funnel is) that water fills the spark blug holes and I've got to drain them into the cylinder to have the car run properly :twisted: :twisted:
Old 15-06-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
BigMal
1ST BA TURBO MEMBER

Car: BA Astina Turbo
Send a message via ICQ to BigMal Send a message via MSN to BigMal
I usually crawl the car down to the local servo. Use the air
hose for your tyres to blow as much air out as I can. Do that
a couple of times and then drive the car around the block and
then repeat if it starts missing again. Sounds better than letting
water into the combustion chamber.

Regards

Mal
Old 16-06-2003, 04:34 PM   #7
astinasp

Hey Tony, I'm a new member but have the exact same problem as you have with the burning smell. I have a '91 SP (had it for 3 weeks), and before i got it had the rocker cover seal replaced and the seal near the distributor. My car is completely standard, so that supports your idea that the problem isn't related to the new muffler.I get the smell usually after a hard drive, and when i stop it comes through the vents. It has a fair bit of oil around the manifold on the clutch housing, so i might clean this off and see what happens. It is also more noticable in the cooler weather.

Also if anyone else has an SP the same as mine, can you tell me if your cooling fan has a tendancy to come on often? Mine always comes on, even if it isn't hot.

Finally what grade and make oil do you use on the BP engines? Would magnatec be suitable? Thanks.
astinasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2003, 08:15 PM   #8
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMal
I usually crawl the car down to the local servo. Use the air
hose for your tyres to blow as much air out as I can. Do that
a couple of times and then drive the car around the block and
then repeat if it starts missing again. Sounds better than letting
water into the combustion chamber.

Regards

Mal
I run the car straight away to exaporate the water, then pull the plug leads to dry out the remaining water. I wouldn't let it sit.

Rod
Old 16-06-2003, 08:19 PM   #9
Tony

Thanks Guys, I'll check out if any oil has spilled onto the exhaust manifold as I had the rocker cover gasket replaced (same as you AstinaSP) and only noticed it after this happened. I notice that the engine leans forward in the bay which is a standard mount so I'm guessing that some oil may have leaked out when they were stuffing around.

Can't say I'm too keen on throwing water round the engine bay tho.

Yeah - AstinaSP, I noticed that the fan comes on freq. but not anything abnormally noticeable. Is your temp gauge showing normal readings? Mine stays just under halfway. Interesting that you're having the same problem tho. Noticed any idle speed fluctuations? Have you noticed your idle speed hovers around 13 - 15 when you start it up (when warm) for about 30 secs then drops to around 1?
Old 17-06-2003, 10:55 AM   #10
astinasp

Temps are running about the same as yours at just under 1/2 way on gauge. I think i'm just used to my corolla which didn't use the fan unless it was pretty warm (but temp never went over 1/2). My idle is about 1500 when i start from cold, then it drops to around 1-1100 then when warm the idle is a steady 800. Your fluctuating idle must be a separate problem from the smell i think. Are you happy with the SP otherwise? Mines an absolutely great car, i'm very happy with it (apart from the few problems).
Old 17-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #11
Tony

Yeah - that all sounds right - don't know why your fan's coming on so freq tho. Just ask your mechanic to check it out next time you get it serviced - may be normal. As for my idling prob - I'll just take it into Mazda and get them to check it out. Noticed that the burning smell seems to be fading - I reckon it might be the gasket goo they used to seal the rocker cover as you had the same prob.

Love it mate. I've had a lot of cars but I love the shape, interior, feel and build of the Astina (esp. the SP) - yours got the elect. sunroof and stuff? By the way, I've noticed a real performance diff between when I bought it stock and after I threw in the drop in K & N filter and had the muffler replaced with a sports job. Much cleaner acceleration and a smoother ride right through the gears. Also use 98 oct (BP) - pricey but worth it and no pinging. Don't think I'll go the full hog and get turbo or anything tho.

One thing I do need to do tho is to replace that dodgy Mazda tape deck/equalizer thing they've got installed. Any ideas? Yours?
Old 18-06-2003, 12:49 AM   #12
astinasp

Is the filter just a replacement element? I've been thinking of getting one and if ur happy then i probably will. Mine has all the kit, thats the main reason i got it over the standard Astina. I run mine on premium, but haven't had it on BP 98 yet (i ran my Corolla on it and it went like a dream!). My tape deck is pretty well stuffed (look in audio forum for more details). I havent got the cash to get a new one just yet, but ill probably get a cd player to replace the whole OE Phillips one. Let me know what you do because any advice would be good.
Good to hear the smell is going, i'm going to clean out the engine bay hopefully tomorrow so ill let you know what happens.
By the way, did you get a full cat back system or just rear muffler done?
Old 18-06-2003, 08:02 PM   #13
Tony

Just the muffler - didn't really see any benefit in getting the rest done as the performance increase would be marginal.

Yeah - the filter's a panel drop-in. Too easy for a 100 bucks.

I'm checking out CD head unit at the mo but I don't want a gaping hole left where that weird looking crap equalizer unit thing is so I'm shopping around for something that'll fit.

Be great if you can let me know if the bay clean has any positive effect cause that smell's still lurking (not as bad tho). I reckon it's the gasket goo.

Also, get yourself some Morreys Upper Cylinder Lubricant (a fuel additive) - costs 18 bucks and it'll last for months. Good for performance, engine protection and pinging.