Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > Mazda Specific Talk

Old 16-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
scott b

Car: 2003 Subaru Impreza RS
Send a message via MSN to scott b
RX8 question?

Hey guys,

an rx8 i see localy and love is up for sale and i can afford it but is 179000km too much? its 2003 model non turbo, i know nothing about rotary engines. when will it need services both minor or major, or even rebuilds?

any help from thew mazda pros would be great, looking at you too 7ONYD

Click to go to my Readers Ride

^ Nothing like that anymore :P ^
scott b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 16-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
NaughtyGT

Car: Sooby B4 - Astina SP parting out
RX8's never came out boosted afaik? 179k is cewrtainly up there for a rotary. I wouldn't touch it unless you have "genuine" receipts for "very" recent engine build, particularly seals. Even trans & rest of drive chain?

As anyone who is familiar with the cons of a rotary will no doubt tell you for your own good, not because of bias, I luv rotaries), beware man! Mileage has alot to do with considering value/maintenance issues etc

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
NaughtyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
I'm no pro but I know this much
The 13b-MSP engine was built to last if maintained and looked after it will last long (some us owners have like 150k miles+ on original, it's not like the 13b-REW)
However regardless of age all of these things should be checked on any rx8 engine
Major sevice is done every 60k and it consist of ignition coils, plugs and leads
It needs to be redlined DAILY (so if the person said s/he drives it gently stay away))
The oil should be changes every 5k (service manual sais 10k but better sooner)
Oil should be checked every 2 weeks MINIMUM and topped up
NEVER use synthetic, it sludges when burns and leaves deposits in the chamber damaging apex seals
Being a 2003 it will have the old starter motor so check if it was updated to the new one
Check how many times it was flooded
Do a compression test (I forget what the minimum recommended is but rx8club has heaps of info)
This is all I can think about at the moment, but rx8club has more and some very interesting info. The .au forum has a stickied FAQ that anyone thinking about a rx8 should see

Last edited by 70NYD; 16-08-2011 at 12:52 PM.
70NYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
scott b

Car: 2003 Subaru Impreza RS
Send a message via MSN to scott b
hmmmm think i might have to pass on it, not sure i want a rotary with that sort of requirements for maintainance,

Click to go to my Readers Ride

^ Nothing like that anymore :P ^
scott b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
It's not for everyone ay. But the ride, handling 9somthin k limit and power makes it all worth while
In reality there is no more maintanance than a nonstock turboed car
Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
Ka Kui

Car: Mazda FD3S, SE3P
179,000km for a rotary is too much. Check to see if the engine rebuilt or not. If not, a rebuild is for sure, since rotary usually needs rebuild around 110,000km range...
1993 Brilliant Black RX-7 Touring | HKS Downpipe | Racing Beat Exhaust | Apexi Turbo Timer | RE-A Air Separator Tank | RE-A Intake | RE-A Turbo Boost Gauge | RE-A Stock Mount Intercooler| Koyo Radiator N-Flo | FEED Side Skirt | TEIN HA Coilovers | Ẽfini 99 Y-pipe | JDM Mazda Spirit R rims |GReddy Dual Oil Coolers|HKS Twin Power Ignition|MS Shift Knob |RE-A Intake|Apexi PowerFC|
Ka Kui is offline   Reply With Quote